Electrical Safety Tips


Follow the following steps to identify and address the hidden

electrical hazards in your home:

Extension cord safety

  • extension cords are handy for temporary use only; have a licensed electrical contractor install a permanent wiring solution if you need power in that spot permanently
  • never remove the third prong – it’s there to prevent shocks! 
  • throw out cords that are frayed, cracked, squished or heat up when in use.
  • keep extension cords away from heat and water 
  • don’t run extension cords under carpets or under heavy furniture
  • use the right one for the job — there are special extension cords rated for use with appliances like heaters and air conditioners, and also ones specifically for outdoor use

Plugs and outlets

  • never overload electrical outlets by plugging in too many plugs – use an approved power bar
  • replace any broken or missing switch-plate covers right away
  • install Ground Faults Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) in your bathrooms and laundry rooms, and outdoors

test all GFCIs each spring and fall

Light fixtures

  • use the right potlight for the job – there are ones for use in ceilings that have insulation and ones that don’t. Using the wrong one could cause a fire
  • never exceed the recommended wattage bulb and choose the recommended bulb type in all fixtures
  • don’t remove the insulation or any other component of a light fixture when you’re installing it – this includes the insulation in flush mount fixtures and the grounding wire in all new fixture

Product safety

  • check that all electrical appliances have recognized approval marks to ensure they meet the electrical safety requirements for Ontario
  • make sure electrical cords on your appliances aren’t loose or damaged
  • misuse of electrical appliances can cause fire


  • Your home’s electrical system

Don’t ignore these following electrical hazard warning signs:

  • dim, flickering or surging lights
  • fuses that constantly blow or breakers that often trip
  • outlets that don’t work when the fuse is replaced or breaker is reset
  • switches or fuses that are hot to the touch (turn them off immediately)
  • or a hot, burning smell where you can’t find the source

Our team at Ring Electric Inc. can help you assess and address these potential electrical hazards!

Please contact us at 613-299-8239.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s